When it comes to lip colour, red is a classic. It doesn’t matter what the occasion might be or what the season is, a classic shade of red is a surefire way to boost your confidence and perfect your beauty look. We caught up with the original make-up maestro herself, Bobbi Brown, and asked her how to find the perfect red lip colour.
“Red lipstick is a staple,” Brown says. “Despite what you may think, the red lip look is easy to achieve and very wearable.” Brown says it’s important not to be put off the bold shade. “Think about your style and the statement you want to make with red lipstick. In other words, find a red lipstick shade that you’re comfortable wearing.”
Brown says in order to choose the most flattering red lipstick, it’s important to use the natural colour of your lips as a guide when choosing a lipstick shade. “If your lips have more of a bluish tint then I suggest using a deeper red like and if your lips have an orange tint then I recommend choosing a brighter red like.” But if you really want to know how to find the perfect red lip colour, Brown says head to you’ve favourite beauty counter sans make-up. “When choosing a red lipstick pick the one that looks good on your face when you are wearing absolutely no makeup. This is the magic colour that will make your skin, hair and eyes look their best.”
Left to right: Tom Ford Lip Color in Cherry Lush; Bobbi Brown Luxe Lip Color in Imperial Red; Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Hi-Lustre Light Sculpting Lipstick in Drop Dead Red; Clinique Pop Matte Lip Colour + Primer in Ruby Pop.
Once you’ve figured out how to find the perfect red lip colour, here are all the tips you need to know to wear it.
• If your outfit features red, make sure it’s the same shade as your lipstick, otherwise, it will clash.
• Dab lipstick on your lips using your fingertips for a muted, softer and understated look.
• Remember: a make-up victim is as bad as a fashion victim. If you don’t feel comfortable in red lipstick, don’t wear it.
• To avoid red teeth after you have applied your lipstick, purse your lips and put your index finger in your mouth, pulling it out as you would a lollipop. Any lipstick that is on the inside of your mouth will be removed.
• Wearing red lipstick requires regular touch-ups. Keep your lipstick and a mirror in your handbag and re-apply as needed.
• During the day, keep red lips the focus of your make-up with neutral eyes and cheeks. At night, smoky eyes will add to the glamour of your red lipstick.
• For definition, outline your lips with a lip liner in the same shade as your lipstick. This will also prevent your lipstick bleeding.