Vegan food doesn’t need to be boring! This vibrant and flavoursome Vegan Sweet & Sour Cauliflower with Fried Brown Rice Recipe is the perfect dish to convert any skeptics.
Vegan Sweet & Sour Cauliflower with Fried Brown Rice Recipe: Ingredients
- 660g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup cornflour, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- Vegetable oil, to fry
- Purple shiso, to serve
- Toasted white sesame seeds, to serve
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp chilli sauce (Sriracha)
- 2 tbsp Asian plum sauce
- 1/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
Fried Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 200g snake beans, cut into 4cm lengths
- 2 cups steamed brown rice, cooled
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
How to make our Vegan Sweet & Sour Cauliflower with Fried Brown Rice Recipe
1. Place the cauliflower florets into a large bowl, season well with salt and gently toss with the 2 tablespoon of extra cornflour. Set aside.
2. To make the sweet and sour sauce, place the sesame oil, chilli sauce, Asian plum sauce, rice-wine vinegar, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and agave syrup in a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside for later.
3. Place the cornflour and plain flour into a small bowl. Add 150ml of cold water and mix until just combined.
4. Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with vegetable oil. Place over medium heat until the oil reaches 180°C on a deep-frying thermometer.
5. Working in batches, add the cauliflower to the cornflour batter, toss to coat, and then transfer to the saucepan and fry for 3 minutes.
6. Remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper towel, then toss in the sweet in sour sauce.
7. Meanwhile, to make the fried brown rice, heat the sesame oil in a large wok or frying pan. Add the chopped snake beans and then cook for 4 minutes, turning regularly. Add the steamed brown rice and soy sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until heated through.
8. Serve the cauliflower on a bed of fried brown rice, topped with purple shiso leaves and a sprinkle of toasted white sesame seeds.
You can also make sweet & sour tofu by cutting firm tofu into 2cm pieces. Pat dry and toss in tablespoons of cornflour. Dip into the same batter and fry for 3 minutes. Toss in the sweet & sour sauce to serve.