Like other legumes chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a great source of fibre. Coupled with spicy chorizo they add a lovely smooth texture to this chunky Spanish Chorizo & Chickpea Stew.
Spanish Chorizo & Chickpea Stew Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g piece speck, diced
- 3 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, roughly chopped (or 2 tsp dried oregano)
- 500g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to season
- fresh oregano leaves (extra, optional), to serve
- crusty bread, to serve
How to make our Spanish Chorizo & Chickpea Stew Recipe
1 Heat oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add speck and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Add sausage to pan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to plate with speck.
2 Add onion and capsicum to pan and cook for 3–4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, paprika, cumin and oregano. Cook for 1 minute. Add potato, tomato and ½ cup water to pan. Bring to the boil and simmer until potato is tender. Return speck and sausage to pan with chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes or until liquid has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Sprinkle with oregano leaves (extra, optional) and serve with crusty bread.