For a hearty meal, full of delicious flavours you can’t look past our smokey Spanish Paella with Baby Octopus, saffron, peas and paprika.
Spanish Paella with Baby Octopus Recipe: Ingredients
- 500g baby octopus, cleaned
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 250g chorizo, chopped
- 300g Calasparra or paella rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- Pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges, chargrilled, to serve
How to make Spanish Paella with Baby Octopus
1. Combine the octopus, crushed garlic, smoked paprika, olive oil and lemon juice in a non-metallic bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
2. To make sofrito, heat oil in a large deep, heavy-based frying pan or paella dish over a medium to low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add capsicum, tomato, smoked paprika, bay leaves and 1ó teaspoons sea salt. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add chorizo and cook, stirring for 10 minutes.
3. Stir through rice. Add the wine, stock and saffron. Bring paella to the boil without stirring. Scatter with seasoned octopus. Cover with a sheet of baking paper and a tight-fitting lid. Simmer gently for 20 minutes over a low heat.
4. Add peas to the paella. Cover and cook for a further 3 minutes.
5. Scatter parsley over paella. Serve immediately with chargrilled lemon cheeks.