For a quick and tasty mid-week soup combine a good quality broth with lentils and in season vegetables. Serve with a few springs of mint for an additional bite of fresh flavour.
Greek-Style Lentil & Chard Soup Recipe: Ingredients
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, trimmed, peeled, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large lemon, finely grated rind and ⅓ cup juice
- 1 large bunch of chard (or silverbeet), shredded
- ½ cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 100g greek fetta, crumbled
- lemon wedges, to serve
- crusty bread, to serve
How to make Greek-Style Lentil & Chard Soup
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
2 Add lentils, stock, lemon and juice and 3 cups water. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Add chard and half of the mint to the soup. Stir until well combined and chard is just wilted.
3 Sprinkle soup with fetta and remaining mint and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.