Transport yourself to Italy with this light and flavoursome Casareccia with Cauliflower, Cherry Tomatoes & Saffron.
Casareccia with Cauliflower, Cherry Tomatoes & Saffron Recipe: Ingredients
- ½ cup currants
- generous pinch of saffron threads
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 6 large anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 425g tin cherry tomatoes, drained
- sea salt, to season
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 500g packet Italian casareccia pasta
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pecorino, finely grated
- extra-virgin olive oil (extra), to serve
- Soak currants and saffron threads in ½ cup warm water and set aside. Boil cauliflower in salted water (the same water in which you’ll cook the pasta) for 3–4 minutes until soft. Remove cauliflower with a sieve and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic, chilli, anchovies and pine nuts and fry until lightly golden and fragrant (without burning the garlic). Add cauliflower and fry until lightly caramelised. Add currants and saffron (with saffron liquid), then tomato, and season with a little sea salt (not too much, as the anchovies are naturally salty) and pepper. Stir well. Turn heat down to a low simmer.
- Boil pasta in cauliflower water until al dente (approximately 8 minutes). Drain pasta and add to sauce with parsley and half the pecorino; toss well. Serve immediately with remaining pecorino and a generous slosh of oil (extra) on top.