Jackfruit Burger Recipe. You may not have heard of jackfruit, but if you’ve been hunting for a meaty vegan alternative, consider it found! The banana-like flesh is all the rage for replacing pulled pork, crab and more.
Jackfruit Burger Recipe: Ingredients
- 2 x 565g cans jackfruit in brine, drained
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 6 sesame seed burger buns, halved, toasted
- Cos lettuce leaves
Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
- 100g soft tofu
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup peanut or vegetable oil
- ½ red cabbage, finely sliced
- ½ green cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
How to make our Jackfruit Burger Recipe
1. Use 2 forks to separate jackfruit fibres a little. Discard any seeds. Thoroughly rinse and drain well.
2. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Fry until tender. Add jackfruit and all herbs and spices. Cook for 5 minutes then stir in barbecue sauce and ½ cup water. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, to make vegan coleslaw, blend tofu, sesame oil, cider vinegar, mustard powder and salt in a blender or food processor. With motor running, gradually drizzle in peanut or vegetable oil until well emulsified. Place red and green cabbage, and spring onions in a large bowl. Toss through dressing.
4. Fill burger buns with lettuce, pulled jackfruit mixture and coleslaw. Serve.