Looking for the perfect sharing dish for your next picnic? This Ham & Spinach Picnic Pie Recipe is the answer to your prayers and is sure to be a crowdpleaser.
Ham & Spinach Picnic Pie Recipe: Ingredients
- 300g Spinach leaves, wilted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sheets flaky pastry
- 500g pre-cooked ham
- 8 eggs
- 150g sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups leftover vegetables, such as broccoli, peas, carrots
1. Wash and remove stems from the spinach. Heat a large sauté pan, with olive oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Place the wilted spinach into a colander and allow to drain, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a large roasting dish with baking paper. Lay sheets of flaky pastry over the base of the tin, slightly overlapping, and press down the seams of pastry. Trim away the excess pastry hanging over the sides, with a sharp knife. Place dish in the fridge while preparing the remaining ingredients.
3. Trim the ham of any fat and cut into bite sized pieces. Beat together the eggs, sour cream, milk, parmesan cheese, mustard, and nutmeg in a large bowl or jug. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Arrange the spinach, ham, onion and any leftover vegetables over the pastry in the roasting dish. Pour over the sour cream custard mix, making sure it fills all pockets. Place dish in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until custard has set and pastry is golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and allow to rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Alternatively, leave to cool in fridge before slicing into squares for a picnic.