Beef Burger with Peri Peri Mayo. New Zealand born Sydney chef Warren Turnbull shares his finger-licking Beef Burger with Peri Peri mayo recipe.
4 burger buns, toasted and warmed
4 tbsp peri peri marinade
320g beef chuck steak, minced
320g beef brisket, minced
4 slices of aged cheddar
200g ZOOSH Peri Peri Mayo
1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme (to mix into ZOOSH Peri Peri Mayo)
4 tbsp tomato salsa
¼ iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
2 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped into 1cm dice
½ fresh chilli (seeds removed), finely chopped
¼ medium red onion, finely diced
½ lemon zest and juice
1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pickle, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Peri peri marinade
10 tbsp sweet paprika
10 tbsp smoked paprika
12 tbsp coriander seeds
7 tbsp chilli flakes
10 tbsp ground coriander
7tbsp tarragon leaves
- To make the marinade, Blitz garlic and coriander seeds with 200ml oil until it forms a paste. Add all spices and blitz whilst pouring rest of oil in a steady stream till all incorporated (this will make a thick runny paste). Then add a few good pinches of salt. (this will keep in an airtight container in the fridge up to 1 month)
- For the beef pattie, mix both minced meats together and form 4 x 160g patties. Spoon the peri peri marinade over the meat and place in fridge until ready to cook.
- For the tomato salsa, mix everything well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place patties on a hot grill and cook for about 3 to 4 mins each side (for anything more than medium cook an extra 1-2 mins each side)
- Rest patties for 3 mins, season well with salt and then place cheese on top and place under a hot grill until melted.
Place iceberg on bottom bun then place beef pattie with cheese on top of the lettuce and dollop with a generous spoon of salsa and a good heap of Peri Peri Mayo then place lid on and serve.