Sometimes all that good bacteria on your skin needs a little help to do its job. Give Mother Nature a hand and add these probiotic and prebiotic skincare gems to your routine to enhance your skin’s health.
1. Elizabeth Arden Superstart Probiotic Boost Skin Renewal Biocellulose Mask ($95 for four) contains a host of super-potent probiotics, including lactococcus ferment lysate. Coupled with the formulation’s ultra-hydrating hyaluronic acid, this innovative mask is guaranteed to leave skin luminous, soft and hydrated while giving your skin’s bacterial community a boost.
2. Multitasking The Beauty Chef Probiotic Skin Refiner ($80) is a collagen-boosting, exfoliating and hydrating formulation that nourishes skin with a host of bio-fermented certified organic goodies. With a bioactive wholefood extract that includes nourishing grains, seeds, fruits, algae and vegetables, you can think of this incredible product as nutrition for your skin.
3. While the alcohol-laden toners of the past tended to strip the skin of its goodness, Gallinée Face Vinegar ($47 from Mecca Cosmetica) is packed with actiobiome – a prebiotic that soothes and calms skin. The formulation also includes postbiotics which give your skin’s bacteria the helping hand it needs to flourish.
4. Prebiotics are at the heart of everything that skincare brand La Roche-Posay does. Its Lipikar Baume ($27.99) has been formulated with very dry and eczema-prone skin in mind. The fragrance-free body cream works to restore and rebalance the skin’s microbiome and micro-organisms – which can help to restore the skin’s barrier and protect it from irritation.
5. Overcleansing can damage your skin’s microbiome, which is exactly why Murad created its unique Prebiotic 4-in-1 MultiCleanser ($75). The gel-to-oil formulation glides onto the skin to remove make-up and debris while replenishing the skin with much-needed prebiotics. The end result is resilient, healthy-looking skin.
6. Forget about the drying, alcohol-based toners of yesteryear – Dior Hydra Life Balancing Hydration 2 In 1 Sorbet Water ($90) has been formulated with powerful prebiotics that work to restore balance to the skin’s microbiome. With daily use, your skin is sure to become both healthier and more resilient.
7. After your everyday moisturiser, apply Ren Clean Skincare Perfect Canvas Skin Enhancing Priming Serum ($110 from Mecca Cosmetica) onto your skin to prime
it for foundation application. A host of probiotics help to smooth the skin, lock in vital moisture and strengthen the skin’s barrier.
8. The skin’s microbiome could possess the secret to tackling acne and inflammation-prone skin once and for all. Edible Beauty Probiotic Radiance Tonic ($56 from Sephora) has been created specifically with challenging skin types in mind. The probiotic strain Lactobacillus bulgaricus helps build resilient skin that’s able to fend off external aggressors, and the potent probiotic also helps to fight acne-forming bacteria.
Want to know more about why probiotic and prebiotic skincare is great for your skin? Here’s everything you need to know about your skin’s microbiome and how probiotic and prebiotic skincare can help.