The country’s Interior Ministry reporting 2,122 fatalities and 2,421 injuries, including 1,404 critical cases.
The quake, measuring magnitude-7, caused widespread destruction in regions like El-Houz, Taroudant, Chichaoua, Tiznit, Marrakech, Azilal, Agadir, Casablanca, and Youssoufia.
It stands as the most powerful tremor to strike Morocco in the last century, as confirmed by Morocco’s National Geophysical Institute and the United States Geological Survey (USGS), which identified the epicenter 75 kilometers southeast of Marrakech, with a depth of 18.5 kilometers.
The situation is particularly dire in Marrakech, where buildings have collapsed, including the iconic red walls surrounding the old city, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Moroccan authorities, along with international aid organisations, have launched efforts to provide assistance to affected areas, while the Turkish Red Crescent and other organisations are closely monitoring the situation and coordinating relief efforts in the region.
To help donate to relief efforts for the Morocco 2023 earthquake, you can follow these steps:
- Research Reputable Organisations: Start by researching well-established and reputable organisations that are actively involved in providing aid to earthquake victims in Morocco. Look for organisations with a history of effective disaster relief efforts.
- Donate to International Relief Agencies: Consider donating to international humanitarian organisations that have a presence in Morocco or are coordinating relief efforts. Some well-known organisations include the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), and Oxfam.
- Check Government Initiatives: Governments often set up relief funds and initiatives to assist in disaster situations. Check if your government is offering any support or has established a fund for Morocco earthquake relief.
- Use Crowdfunding Platforms: You can also contribute through crowdfunding platforms such as GoFundMe, Kickstarter, or Indiegogo. Ensure that the campaigns you support are legitimate and directly related to earthquake relief efforts in Morocco.
- Local Moroccan Charities: Look for local Moroccan charities and organisations that are actively involved in providing aid to earthquake victims. They may have a better understanding of the specific needs of affected communities.
- Be Cautious: Unfortunately, disasters can attract fraudulent schemes. Be cautious of unsolicited emails or social media requests for donations. Stick to well-known and trusted channels for making your contributions.
- Spread the Word: Encourage others in your network to donate as well. Sharing information about legitimate relief organisations and fundraising campaigns can help amplify the impact of your donation.
- Donate Goods or Services: Some organisations may accept in-kind donations or volunteer assistance. Check with them to see if they have specific needs that you can fulfil.
- Tax Deductible Donations: If you’re concerned about the tax implications of your donation, ensure that the organisation you choose is a registered charity, as your donation may be tax-deductible.
- Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated on the situation in Morocco and the progress of relief efforts. This will help you understand where your contributions are making a difference.
Remember that every donation, no matter how small, can make a significant impact on the lives of those affected by the earthquake. Your generosity can help provide essential resources and support to the people of Morocco during this challenging time.
Intrepid Travel Launches Emergency Appeal to Aid Morocco Earthquake Victims
On September 11, 2023, Intrepid Travel initiated an urgent appeal through its non-profit arm, the Intrepid Foundation, pledging to match all donations up to AUD $100,000 to support immediate relief efforts in Morocco following a catastrophic earthquake on September 8, 2023. The earthquake, measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale, wreaked havoc in several regions of the country.
The Intrepid Foundation has orchestrated this appeal to extend assistance to its trusted local NGO partners in Morocco, Education for All, and the High Atlas Foundation, who are actively engaged in on-ground relief efforts. Their mission encompasses delivering crucial aid such as food, shelter, clean water, and medical supplies to those affected.
The Intrepid Foundation’s commitment includes matching donations to the Morocco Earthquake Appeal up to a total of $100,000 AUD, while shouldering all administrative expenses. This ensures that every dollar donated directly contributes to the recovery mission.
Biheng Zhang, General Manager of the Intrepid Foundation, expressed the gravity of the situation, stating, “The earthquake in Morocco is the most devastating to hit the country in over a century, impacting more than 300,000 lives in the communities surrounding the High Atlas Mountains and beyond. While many of us cannot even begin to understand this level of loss, we can, by supporting this appeal, directly supply those impacted with emergency relief and support.”
Morocco holds a profound place in Intrepid’s heart, being one of the tour operator’s primary global destinations. The country has shared its breathtaking beauty with countless Intrepid travelers over the years. Zina Bencheikh, Managing Director of EMEA for Intrepid Travel, remarked, “Intrepid was founded on the idea of benefiting both the travelers and the people in the communities we visit. Through this relief effort, we hope to give back to the country that has given so much to our travel community.”
With 33 tours in Morocco, a significant office in Marrakech, and nearly 80 local team members, Intrepid has deep-rooted connections with the nation. At the time of the earthquake, Intrepid had 66 tour groups and approximately 650 customers touring the country, all of whom have been successfully located and accounted for.
To donate, please visit Morocco Earthquake Appeal.