At the most recent International Dermalogica conference, held annually in Los Angeles, Dermalogica New Zealand’s Head of Education, Caroline Parker, take part in a mindfulness seminar.
Here, Parker shares her favourite tips for including mindfulness in your daily life.
• Waking up: while you are still lying in bed, before you do anything else, notice your breathing.
• Showering: open yourself to your senses during your shower, do you feel warm or cool? Notice the scents and textures of your skin and hair products.
• Breakfast: pay attention to the food you’re eating, noting all that went into its creation. A piece of fruit for example required sunshine, fresh air and rich earth; workers to pick it and transport it. Then look closely at the food, put it in your mouth and taste it.
• Walking: slow down. Pay attention to the movement and skill of walking.
• Driving: when stopped at a red light, notice your body. Loosen your hold on the steering wheel. Relax your shoulders.
• Arriving at work: spend three minutes doing a practice like ACE – Awareness of your breath, Collecting your breath, Expanding your awareness to your body – before you start working.
• Lunch: eat alone in a quiet place once a week, paying mindful attention to your food.
• End of work: reflect on your day. What was good about it? What could you have done differently? Imagine how you would like to be tomorrow.
• All day: sprinkle mindfulness throughout your day. Set reminders for various times on your phone or calendar. Change these times occasionally so these moments don’t turn into meaningless habit.