- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 white zucchini, quartered
- 2 green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped wakame seaweed
- 2 French shallots, finely chopped
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups watercress
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 100g zucchini flowers
- 1 tbsp vegan furikake seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried chilli threads
- 1 nori sheet, torn
- ¼ cup mirin
- 1 tbsp white vegan miso
- ½ tsp wasabi
- ¼ cup pistachio, chopped, plus extra to serve
Zucchini and Rice Bowls with Pistachio Miso Method
- To cook the sushi rice, rinse rice in a colander under cold water until the water runs clear. Place in a small saucepan with 1¼ cups of water. Place over medium heat and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stand, covered with a lid, for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, place the zucchinis, chili, wakame, French shallots, vinegar and sugar in a bowl and gently toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- To make the dressing, place mirin, miso, wasabi and pistachio in a small blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the rice in a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Add the miso and mix to combine. Divide the rice between bowls, top with pickled zucchini and watercress. Serve with spring onions, zucchini flowers, furikake, chili and nori.
Furikake is a Japanese seaweed seasoning. You can find it in Asian supermarkets. Chilli threads are available from selected grocers. You can substitute with dried chilli flakes.
Zucchini, also known as courgette, has numerous varieties – the common green zucchini, and grey or white zucchini which are pale green in colour. Female zucchini flowers have the flower attached to the small fruit, while male zucchini flowers have a long, thin stem and delicate flower. Low in carbohydrates and high in fibre, zucchini is known to be helpful in weight loss. It is high in water which helps keep you full for longer and is low on the glycaemic index.