You’re going to love this simple and tasty Winter Green Soup recipe. This nourishing Winter Green Soup is the perfect warmer for the cooler months with kale, broccoli and spinach this recipe is sure to boost your immunity.
- Serves 4-6
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
(See related: 13 Healthy Dinner Recipes For The Week)
Winter Green Soup Recipe: Ingredients
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 450g spinach, washed, roots removed
- 150g kale leaves, washed
- 1 head broccoli, sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of 1 lemon
- Serve with, crispy tofu pieces, toasted nuts and seeds, fried onion and toasted ciabatta slices
Winter Green Soup Recipe: Method
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes until tender. Stir in the rice and add the cumin, mixed spice and nutmeg. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add half of the stock and simmer for 8 minutes. Press the drained spinach, kale, broccoli into the saucepan, cover and when the leaves have wilted pour in the rest of the stock. Bring up to the boil, turn down immediately, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree in a high-speed blender or food processor. Add back to the cleaned saucepan and stir in the lemon juice, and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Keep warm while preparing toppings. Before serving stir in cream or yoghurt if preferred.
- Serve crispy tofu pieces, toasted nuts and seeds, fried onion and toasted ciabatta slices.
Check out this awesome Poached Turkey Salad with Sesame Dressing Recipe.