This classic Thai Chicken Salad with Pickled Lemongrass Mango Salad Recipe is the perfect light dish for a warm summer evening.
Thai Chicken Salad with Pickled Lemongrass Mango Salad Recipe
Serve 4 as a light meal
Prep time 30 mins + 30 mins chilling
Cooking time 18 mins
- 2 large Mangoes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 sticks lemongrass, thinly sliced (see tip)
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- Cooked rice noodles & herbs (Thai basil, mint & coriander), to serve
- 650g chicken breast fillets, roughly chopped
- 4 tbs red curry paste
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 60g green beans, trimmed, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
How to make this Thai Chicken Salad with Pickled Lemongrass Mango Salad Recipe:
1. Cut the cheeks from the mango stone. Carefully scoop out the flesh. Thinly slice. Place into a bowl with the onion. Combine vinegar, sugar, water and lemongrass in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in the fish sauce. Cool for 5 minutes then pour over the mango and onion. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Place chicken into a food processor. Pulse to roughly chop. Add the curry paste, fish sauce, egg white, cornflour and coconut. Pulse until just combined. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the beans and coriander. Shape mixture into patties using damp hands Place onto a tray. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes if time allows.
3. Preheat barbecue plate on medium. Drizzle both sides of the chicken patties with oil. Barbecue for 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
4. Serve chicken patties with pickled mango, noodles and herbs.
Tip Use the back of a knife to bruise the lemongrass then thinly slice the white & lime green part only for this recipe.
Tip You can replace the chicken with 650g skinless, pin boned salmon to make Thai salmon cakes.