Spring Onion Pancakes with Sticky Pork Recipe
4 cups plain flour, plus extra, to dust
1 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
1/2-3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sliced spring onions
2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced into ribbons
1 cup coriander sprigs
300g piece pork fillet
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp grated ginger
1/4 cup kecap manis
2 tsp sesame oil
Soy Chilli Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 coriander roots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 red chilli, sliced
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in centre and gradually pour in 2 cups boiling water. Stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms, adding extra water, if needed, to make a slightly sticky dough. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 6-8 minutes or until smooth, adding extra flour if needed. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky (be careful not to add too much flour). Generously grease a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of the oil, then gently roll dough around bowl to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30-40 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine all sticky pork ingredients in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out portions to form 2-3mm-thick rectangles. Brush each with a little of the remaining oil, then roll up into logs. Using oiled hands, squeeze logs until 40cm long and use to make 8 snail-shaped coils, adding oil to prevent dough sticking to the work surface. Push down coils to flatten into dough rounds.
- Using a rolling pin, roll rounds until 2-3mm thick (approx. 25cm in diameter). Brush each with oil and sprinkle liberally with spring onions, pressing down to adhere.
- Heat a little of the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook 1 pancake for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown and beginning to puff and crisp. Transfer pancake to a plate and keep warm while you repeat with oil and remaining 7 pancakes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Grease and line a baking tray with baking paper. Wipe pan clean and heat over a medium heat. Pour in 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil. Drain pork (discarding marinade) and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until seared and golden. Transfer to prepared tray and roast for 10-12 minutes or until just cooked through. Cover lightly with foil and set aside for 10 minutes. Slice.
- To make soy chilli dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Fill pancakes with sliced pork, cucumber ribbons and coriander, and roll up to enclose. Slice in half on an angle and serve with dipping sauce on the side.
For more savoury pancakes try our recipes below:
Japanese Pancakes with Miso Soup and Cucumber Salad