This big cup of goodness is guaranteed to sooth the soul. Red quinoa provides the perfect accompaniment and amazing contrast to the creaminess of the soup. Serve with crusty bread or rice for a deeply nourishing winter warmer.
Spinach Soup with Quinoa & Black Beans Recipe: Ingredients
- 3 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup arborio rice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1.25 litres hot vegetable stock
- 450g spinach, stems removed
- 2 limes, grated zest and juice
- 100ml coconut cream
- 100ml strained Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup red quinoa, toasted
- 400g can black beans, drained
- dried onion flakes, to serve
How to make Spinach Soup with Quinoa & Black Beans
1. Heat clarified butter in a frying pan; soften onion and garlic. Stir in rice. Add cloves, cumin and nutmeg. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring. Add one cup stock; simmer 10 minutes.
2. Press spinach into the pot, cover. When leaves have wilted add remaining stock. Bring to the boil; turn down immediately. Simmer 5 minutes.
3. Puree mixture in batches. Return to a cleaned pot. Bring back to heat and stir in lime zest and coconut cream.
4. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Serve with a dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt and toasted quinoa, warmed black beans and dried onion flakes.
TIP: To keep spinach soup looking green, add a pinch of baking soda to the pot.