This Spinach Salad with Beetroot & Figs Recipe is the perfect salad for your next mezze menu. With flavourful beetroot and figs this vibrant salad shouldn’t be missed.
Spinach Salad with Beetroot & Figs Recipe
- 400g beetroot, washed
- 150g baby spinach
- 2 figs
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 2 sprigs of dill
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- 30g shanklish, crumbled (you can also use feta)
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground sumac
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
How to make this Spinach Salad with Beetroot & Figs Recipe:
1. Place the beetroot in a large saucepan, cover with water and place over low heat. Bring to the boil then cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain, set aside and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, to make the dressing, place the white wine vinegar, honey, sumac, garlic and oil into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
3. Once cool, peel the beetroot and cut into thin slices. Place in a bowl and add 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Mix to combine and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
4. Remove any coarse stalks from the spinach and cut the figs into thick slices. Peel the onion and cut into fine slices. Finely chop the dill. Place the pistachios in an ungreased pan over medium heat and fry until lightly toasted and golden.
5. Place the spinach into a bowl, pour over the remaining dressing and gently toss to coat. Remove the beetroot from the marinade, reserve the marinade. Arrange the spinach, beetroot slices, figs and onion on a plate. Lightly drizzle with the reserved beetroot marinade. Top with the crumbled cheese, pistachios and dill to serve.