The delicious flavours of cumin, fennel and saffron in this Spicy Cauliflower, Spinach & Quinoa Soup are sure to warm you during the cool, winter season.
Spicy Cauliflower, Spinach & Quinoa Soup
- 300g spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300g fennel, thinly sliced
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g white sweet potato, chopped
- 300g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch saffron
- ½ cup quinoa
- grated lemon zest, chilli flakes and
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, to serve
How to make this Spicy Cauliflower, Spinach & Quinoa Soup:
1 Place spinach in a bowl. Add water and stand for 1 minute or until wilted. Drain and reserve liquid. Finely shred spinach. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add cumin, mustard seeds, garlic and fennel; cook for 10 minutes, or until caramelised, adding some stock to stop it sticking.
2 Add remaining stock, reserved liquid, sweet potato, cauliflower, bay leaf, saffron and quinoa. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Blend, in batches, until smooth. Stir through spinach. Sprinkle with zest and chilli. Serve drizzled with olive oil.