Spanish Crema Catalana with Sherry-Soaked Prunes. A Catalan dish similar to crème brûlée, crema catalana is traditionally served on Saint Joseph’s Day. The custard is flavored with lemon or orange zest, and cinnamon.
Spanish Crema Catalana with Sherry-Soaked Prunes Recipe
- 350ml sweet sherry
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 350g pitted prunes
- 375ml pouring cream
- 375ml milk
- 2 pieces (10cm long) lemon rind
- 2 pieces (10cm long) orange rind
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup brown sugar
How to make Spanish Crema Catalana with Sherry-Soaked Prunes
1. To make sherry-soaked prunes, place sherry and caster sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Add prunes and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until plump. Set aside and let cool.
2. Place cream, milk, citrus rinds, cinnamon, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring just to the boil. Set aside for 10 minutes for flavours to infuse. Strain through a sieve and discard solids. Whisk egg yolks and brown sugar until thick and pale; gradually add cream mixture.
3. Return to a clean saucepan and cook, stirring, over low heat for 4-5 minutes, or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Pour into four 1-cup-capacity ramekins and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
4. Pour some of the prune syrup over the top and serve with remaining prunes and syrup.