Rhubarb and Ginger Cake Recipe. This showstopper is full of delicious in-season flavours.
Rhubarb and Ginger Cake Recipe
- 180g butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300g sour cream
- 1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces (approx 3 cups)
- 125g bag glace ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to serve
- thick cream, to serve
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 40g butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g glace ginger, roughly chopped
How to make this Rhubarb and Ginger Cake Recipe
Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line a 22cm round-loose based cake pan with baking paper. Using an electric beater, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift half the flour and cinnamon over cake mixture. Add half the sour cream. Sift remaining flour over cake and add remaining sour cream. Gently stir until combined. Fold through rhubarb and half the glace ginger. Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan. Smooth top with the back of a wet spoon.
Place topping flour into a bowl. Using your fingertips rub butter into flour. Stir through sugar, hazelnuts and remaining ginger. Sprinkle mixture over top of cake. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked through when tested in the centre with a skewer. Stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Serve dusted with icing sugar and thick cream on the side.