Ham & Split Pea Soup with Cheese & Herb Scones. This easy-to-make ham and split pea soup is a perfect mid-week meal when time is sparse.
Ham & Split Pea Soup with Cheese & Herb Scones
1½ cups yellow split peas
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large brown onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
3 sticks celery, trimmed and sliced
8 cups chicken stock
400g can diced Italian tomatoes
8 bay leaves
6 stalks flat-leaf parsley
1 ham hock
½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional), roughly chopped
cheese and herb scones, to serve
1. Put peas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Discard any peas that float to the surface. Drain peas, rinsing with cold water until the water runs clear.
2. Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring often, until tender. Add peas, stock, tomato, bay leaves and stalks of parsley. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Add ham hock and return to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1½ hours or until the peas are tender and the meat is falling off the bone.
3. Remove ham hock from soup. Discard skin and bone. Shred meat and set aside in a bowl. Remove stalks of parsley and bay leaves from soup.
4. Using a food processor or wand, puree soup mixture. Reheat if necessary or ladle into serving bowls. Top with meat and sprinkle with parsley leaves (optional). Serve with cheese and herb scones.
CHEESE AND HERB SCONES
1. Preheat oven to 220C. Lightly grease a 20cm square cake pan. Sift 1½ cups self-raising flour into a large bowl. With your fingertips, rub 60g cubed, chilled butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add 1 cup grated tasty cheese, 2 tbsp finely chopped chives and 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley. Stir until combined. Add ¾ cup milk and stir quickly with a flat-edged knife until just combined.
3. On a lightly floured board, knead mixture lightly and quickly into a 2cm-thick round. Do not overwork dough or the scones will be heavy and tough. Using a 5cm round scone/biscuit cutter, cut 8 scones from dough.
4. Put scones in prepared cake pan. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden and scones sound hollow when tapped.