In the mood for an indulgent sweet treat? Try our warming Churros with Hot Chocolate.
Churros with Hot Chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1½ cups flour
½ tsp baking powder
2 egg yolks
4 cups canola oil, for deep-frying
1 litre milk
1 cinnamon quill
1 vanilla bean, split
500g dark chocolate (containing 70% cocoa)
- To make churros, mix sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add salt to 450ml water and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat. Combine flour and baking powder and add to water, all at once. Stir until a smooth dough forms. Return to medium heat and stir constantly for 1 minute until dough comes away easily from sides of saucepan. Remove from heat. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time, until dough becomes smooth and elastic. Allow dough to cool completely.
- Heat oil to 175C (use a thermometer) in a high-sided saucepan. Put dough in a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle. Pipe 10cm churros into hot oil, using wet scissors to snip dough. Deep-fry churros, turning to cook evenly, until brown all over. Drain on paper towels before rolling in cinnamon sugar.
- To make hot chocolate, slowly heat milk, cinnamon quill and vanilla bean in a saucepan. When milk reaches boiling point, strain into a jug containing chocolate. Whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve hot chocolate with churros on the side.