Roasted Prawn & Tomato Spaghetti with Cavolo Nero. Rosemary provides the rich wintry element in this decadent pasta. Both prawn and tomato are laden with natural umami and, in this case, the flavour from the prawn heads provides a silky sauce that will have you going back for more.
Roasted Prawn & Tomato Spaghetti with Cavolo Nero
2 tbsp olive oil
50g unsalted butter
2 small fennel bulbs, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
500g green prawns, peeled, heads and shells reserved
2 tbsp tomato paste
500g cherry tomatoes
3 tsp fennel seeds
2 sprigs rosemary
½ bunch cavolo nero, blanched
- Heat oil and 30g butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add half the chopped fennel bulb and half the garlic. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes until softened.
- Add prawn heads and shells and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes until prawns are coloured. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to coat prawn heads and shells.
- Cut half the cherry tomatoes in half and stir into the prawn mixture with 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds.
- Add 1½ cups of water and 1 rosemary sprig and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes, pressing down on the prawn heads and tomatoes to extract as much flavour as possible. Strain through a fine sieve to extract all the liquid.
- Set aside. Melt remaining butter in the saucepan over medium heat and add remaining fennel bulb, seeds and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes until softened. Add remaining whole cherry tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Add prawn stock to tomato sauce mixture with remaining rosemary sprig. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until tomato skins start to burst.
- Add prawns and cook for 2 minutes or until just cooked through. Stir through cavolo nero and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove rosemary sprig. Fold pasta through sauce then divide among serving bowls.