Looking for the slice of the summer? Our Pistachio Slices Recipe is sweet and salty, the perfect combination for a post swim snack.
Pistachio Slices Recipe
Makes about 40
- 250g spelt flour, plus extra to roll out
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 pinch of salt
- 80g sugar
- 100g butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, extra, separated
- 70g pistachio kernels
- 400g raw marzipan paste
- 30g pistachio kernels, extra, roasted and salted
- 50g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
How to make our Pistachio Slices Recipe
1. Place the flour, cinnamon, salt and sugar into a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter, egg and egg yolk and knead to form to a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in baking paper or foil, then place in the fridge and chill for 2 hours.
2. Place the pistachio kernels in a food processor and process until very finely chopped. Knead them into the marzipan paste until well incorporated.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) and line a 22x30cm baking dish with baking paper. Cut the dough in half, and then roll out each portion on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle measuring 22x30cm. Roll out the marzipan between 2 pieces of foil to form a rectangle measuring the same size as the dough pieces.
4. Place one dough rectangle in the baking dish, then brush with a little egg white. Place the marzipan rectangle on top of the dough and brush with egg white, and then top with the remaining dough rectangle. Prick the dough several times with a fork. Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
5. Roughly chop the extra, salted pistachio kernels. Place the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix to form a glaze, adding a little water if the glaze is too thick. Spread the glaze over the cooled slice and sprinkle evenly with pistachios. Leave to set. Cut the slice into quarters, then cut 1.5cm-thick pieces from each quarter.