Piri Piri Chicken with Barbecue Sweet Potatoes & Green Olive Jalapeño Salsa. Pack on the flavour with this delicious and satisfying dish that’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner on a weeknight, or a long-lunch over the weekend.
Piri Piri Chicken with Barbecue Sweet Potatoes & Green Olive Jalapeño Salsa
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 x 1.5kg Portuguese-style butterflied chicken, scored in thick parts
- 8 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Piri Piri Sauce
- 6 long green chillies
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves
- 2 tsps sweet paprika
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
Green Olive Jalapeño Salsa (makes 1½ cups)
- 250g jar jalapeño
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves and stem, plus extra leaves, to garnish
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- Sour cream
- Chives, chopped
- Lemon wedges
How to make Piri Piri Chicken with Barbecue Sweet Potatoes & Green Olive Jalapeño Salsa:
1. To make Piri Piri Sauce, cook chillies, turning regularly on a hot barbecue or chargrill until blackened. Transfer to a small saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Combine chicken and Piri Piri Sauce in a ceramic dish. Cover and marinate for at least 4 hours if you can, otherwise cover and let marinate for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken on lightly oiled pre-heated barbecue plate over a medium-low heat. Cover with foil or barbecue lid. Cook, turning regularly, for 45 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes. Cut into portions.
3. Meanwhile, combine sweet potatoes and oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then wrap individually in foil. Barbecue for 30 to 35 minutes, turning regularly, or until cooked. Unwrap and slice lengthways.
4. To make Green Olive Jalapeño Salsa, combine jalapeño and liquid, coriander and green olives in a food processor. Process to a coarse paste.
5. Serve sweet potatoes with sour cream and chives. Serve with Piri Piri Chicken and Jalapeño Salsa. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with lemon.