Are you a fan of pickles? This Pickle-Brined Chicken with Wedge Salad & Butter Sauce Recipe is a spring sensation, perfect for warm evenings when you’re in the mood for something tasty.
Pickle-Brined Chicken with Wedge Salad & Butter Sauce Recipe
- 1⁄2 cup liquid from store-bought pickles
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 2 tbsp salt flakes
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges, to serve
- 4 pickles, cut into wedges, to serve
How to make our Pickle-Brined Chicken with Wedge Salad & Butter Sauce Recipe:
1. Place the pickle liquid, brown sugar, salt flakes, half the coriander and the oregano into a small saucepan. Season with pepper, and then bring to the boil. Transfer to a large bowl, add the ice cubes and mix until they have melted. Add the chicken, submerge in the liquid and then place in the fridge to marinate for 4 hours (or overnight).
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Place the smoked paprika, extra brown sugar, remaining coriander, olive oil and Tabasco sauce into a large bowl. Drain the chicken and gently pat dry. Toss the chicken in the smoked paprika mixture, then transfer to a large baking tray and cook in the oven for 25 minutes. After this time, carefully pour the cooking juices into a small saucepan. Return the chicken to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
3. Meanwhile, place the cooking juices over medium heat. Add the butter and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until the butter has melted and is bubbling. Remove from the heat, set aside and keep warm.
4. Place the buttermilk, mayonnaise and chopped chives in a small bowl and whisk well to combine. Set aside.
5. Serve the chicken with the wedges of lettuce, pickles, buttermilk dressing, and butter sauce.