This Phirni (Ground Rice Pudding) Recipe is flavoured with mouthwatering ingredients including rosewater, green cardamom seeds, saffron and unsalted pistachios.
Phirni (Ground Rice Pudding) Recipe
- 1 tbsp unsalted almonds, cut into slivers
- 1 tbsp unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 1⁄8 cups whole milk
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp rice flour
- 5 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp rosewater (optional)
- 5 green cardamoms, seeds only, crushed
- A few saffron strands (optional)
How to make this Phirni (Ground Rice Pudding) Recipe:
1. Place the almonds and pistachios into a small bowl and mix to combine, then set aside. Place 21⁄2 cups of the milk into a large, heavy-based pan and heat gently over a low heat. Meanwhile, place the remaining milk into a small bowl and add the rice flour. Mix well, until there are no lumps.
2. When the milk begins to boil, add the rice flour mixture and caster sugar and mix well, until the rice flour mixture is completely integrated. Continue to cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, for two minutes, or until all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add half the chopped nuts to the hot milk mixture with the rosewater (if using). Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture becomes very thick.
4. Spoon the mixture into 4 ramekins or cups, then sprinkle over the remaining nuts and allow to cool slightly, before placing in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled, garnished with the cardamom seeds and saffron strands (if using).