2 cups basmati rice
¼ tsp saffron threads
2 pieces braised ‘Fesenjan’ chicken, shredded – click here for the master recipe
¼ cup reserved ‘Fesenjan’ braising liquid – click here for the master recipe
3 egg yolks
1 cup Greek style yoghurt
40g unsalted butter
¼ cup dried barberries (or dried unsweetened cranberries)
Pomegranate arils, to serve
Chopped pistachios kernels, to serve
Baby sorrel and amaranth leaves, to serve
- Place the rice in a large bowl, cover with cold water and set aside to soak for 2 hours.
- Place the saffron in a small bowl. Meanwhile, mix the chicken and reserved braising liquid and set aside.
- Drain the rice, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil over medium heat and cook for 6 minutes, until partially cooked.
- Remove from heat, drain and refresh under cold water.
- Place the egg yolks, yoghurt and saffron in a bowl, season with salt and black pepper, and mix to combine. Add to the rice and fold until just combined.
- Melt the butter in a 21cm-deep frying pan over medium heat. Cover with two-thirds of the rice mixture. Arrange chicken in an even layer over the rice, then scatter with barberries. Top with remaining rice mixture.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid (or sheets of foil) and cook for 1 hour or until, when lifted slightly, a golden crust has formed on the bottom. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate and scatter with pomegranate, pistachios and herbs.