For a taste of modern comfort food try this flavoursome Mandarin & Soy-Braised Duck Breasts with Green Tea Noodles Recipe. The delectable pairing of tender duck breast and zesty mandarins makes for the perfect meal.
Mandarin & Soy-Braised Duck Breasts with Green Tea Noodles Recipe: Ingredients
- 4 duck breasts, skin scored
- 1 long red chilli, halved
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4cm ginger, sliced
- 1 garlic bulb, halved
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mandarin juice
- 1⁄2 cup Shaoxing cooking wine
- 380g cooked green tea noodles, to serve
- 2 mandarins, segmented
- Micro green shiso, to serve
- Micro purple basil, to serve
How to make our Mandarin & Soy-Braised Duck Breasts with Green Tea Noodles:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Place the duck breasts skin side down in a large, cold, non-stick frying pan. Place over high heat from cold and cook for 8 minutes, or until the skin is golden and the fat has rendered out.
2. Remove the duck from the pan and set aside. Place the chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, coriander seeds, star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger, garlic, light soy sauce, mandarin juice, Shaoxing cooking wine and 2 cups of water in a large, flame-proof, oven-proof roasting pan. Place over medium heat and then bring to a simmer.
3. Add the duck breasts, skin side up, then cover with foil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Remove the foil from the pan and cook for an extra 30 minutes, or until the duck is golden and the skin is crispy.
5. Divide the cooked green tea noodles and braising liquid between serving bowls. Slice the duck and arrange on top of the noodles. Serve with mandarin segments, and top with micro green shiso and purple basil.
To perfectly cook your green tea noodles, place them in a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until al dente. Then refresh in iced water to stop the cooking process. To reheat, place in a colander and pour over boiling water.