1 whole chicken
2 stalks celery
1 onion, halved
1 sprig bay leaves
2 litre water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 green capsicum, seeded and roughly chopped
½ tsp each cayenne pepper and dried celery seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 bunch cavolo nero, stems trimmed and chopped
120g baby spinach leaves
½ bunch Greek kale, stem trimmed and roughly chopped
1 small bunch curly parsley, finely chopped
200g andouille sausage (or dried chorizo), sliced
- For the stock, place the chicken, celery, onion and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Cover with water, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cook for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until stock is fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Strain, discarding the vegetables. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred the meat. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 6 minutes, or until flour is dark golden in colour.
- Add the garlic and capsicum, then cook, stirring for 4 minutes, or until vegetables begin to be tender. Add the spices and oregano and stir to combine. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cavolo nero, spinach, kale and parsley and cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the chicken and season.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning for 4-6 minutes. Divide the soup between bowls. Serve topped with sausages.