Forget your go-to roast chicken recipe and try our flavoursome and tender Lemon and Buttermilk Roast Chicken with Brussels Sprouts Salad.
Lemon & Buttermilk Roast Chicken with Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tbsp sumac
- 1.6kg whole chicken, butterflied
- 1kg brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200g feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup coriander, roughly chopped
How to make our Lemon & Buttermilk Roast Chicken with Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe
1. Combine the red onion and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Place lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high, bring to the boil and cook for 4 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Place lemon syrup in a bowl with the buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the sumac. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and combine. Reserve ½ cup of marinade.
4. Add the chicken to the remaining marinade, cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place chicken on a greased rack over a foil-lined tray.
6. Place the brussels sprouts and chickpeas in another baking tray, drizzle with the remaining oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Place both trays in the oven and roast for 40 minutes. Remove brussels sprouts from the oven and keep warm.
8. Reduce oven temperature to 160°C and roast chicken for a further 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. If chicken browns too much, cover with foil.
9. To make the brussels sprouts salad, drain onions and add, along with the feta and coriander, to the brussels sprouts mixture.
10. Drizzle the salad with the reserved marinade and serve with the lemon and buttermilk roast chicken.