For a light summer fish that celebrates in-season flavours try this vibrant Kingfish Tartare with Edamame Purée & Pickled Edamame Recipe.
Kingfish Tartare with Edamame Purée & Pickled Edamame Recipe
- 1⁄4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup podded edamame, blanched for 6-8 minutes and refreshed
- 500g sashimi-grade kingfish, finely chopped
- 4 baby cucumbers, thinly sliced into rounds
- Micro purple shiso, to serve
- Finger lime pearls, to serve
- Store-bought chilli oil, to serve
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 11⁄2 cups podded edamame
- 40g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
How to make our Kingfish Tartare with Edamame Purée & Pickled Edamame Recipe:
1. To make the purée, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the spring onion and garlic, season well with salt, then cover with a lid and cook for 8 minutes, or until softened. Add the edamame and butter and 1⁄2 cup of water and cook for 5 minutes, or until the butter has melted and the edamame are tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Place the edamame mixture in a blender, add the rice-wine vinegar and mirin and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until cold.
2. Place the vinegar, lime zest, salt and sugar in a small, clean saucepan and bring to a simmer, then cook until the sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a small bowl. Add the edamame and set aside to lightly pickle.
3. To serve, divide the purée between plates. Scatter with pickled edamame, chopped kingfish and cucumber rounds. Top with the micro purple shiso and finger lime pearls, and drizzle with chilli oil to serve.