This tasty Kalmi Vada (Fried Lentil Patties) Recipe is the perfect pre-dinner starter. The crispy patties are packed full of delicious flavours including ginger and green chillies.
Kalmi Vada (Fried Lentil Patties) Recipe
Makes 8 patties
- 1⁄2 cup split chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup split green mung beans
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄8 tsp asafoetida powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Oil, to fry
- Fresh lime halves, to serve
- Green chutney, to serve
How to make this Kalmi Vada (Fried Lentil Patties) Recipe:
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas and mung beans in four cups of water for at least four hours. After soaking, the chickpeas and mung beans will have about doubled in volume.
2. Coarsely chop the chickpeas and mung beans, then place into a bowl with all the other ingredients (except the oil and lime halves) and mix well to combine. This will make a soft and crumbly dough. Add a little water if the mixture is too dry – but not more than 2-3 tablespoons. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and shape them into patties.
3. Heat about 3cm of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Kalmi vadas are double fried – so first, fry the patties for about 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. Then using a slotted spoon, remove them from the pan and place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Allow them to cool to room temperature, then fry them again over medium-high heat until golden brown.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature with fresh lime halves and chutney on the side.