Makes 20 (serves 4-6)
4 bulbs garlic, halved
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp currants
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
20 sprigs lemon thyme
20 mini brioche buns
¼ cup each grated aged cheddar and parmesan
Aged cheddar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Place the garlic on a sheet of foil, drizzle with oil and wrap to enclose. Place on a tray and place in the oven. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the cloves are golden and soft.
- Meanwhile, place the currants and sherry vinegar in a small bowl and set aside to soak.
- Remove the foil from the garlic. Squeeze out the cloves, add the orange zest, currants, sherry and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a bread knife, make an incision through the centre of each roll, making sure not to cut through. Spread with garlic mixture and top with grated cheese and thyme.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. Serve hot with cheese (optional).
Make ahead. You can make these and freeze them for 1 month. To serve, thaw at room temperature. Place in the oven and bake following the recipe.