Cauliflower & Dahl are a match made in heaven. This spicy, delicious Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Dhal Soup Recipe is the ideal vegetarian meal to get you through the cool winter months.
Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Dhal Soup Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tbsp ghee, melted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup yellow split peas
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 6 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
How to make Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Dhal Soup
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place cauliflower, onion and garlic in a large roasting pan. Drizzle with half the ghee and sprinkle with cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, turmeric, garam masala, cardamom and cinnamon and toss to coat.
2. Season and roast, turning occasionally, for 45 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
3. Meanwhile, rinse split peas and lentils. Drain well. Place in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 30 minutes.
4. Combine cauliflower mixture, drained split pea mixture, stock and water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until tender. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth.
5. Heat remaining ghee over medium heat. Add curry leaves and cook for 1-2 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towel.
6. Ladle soup among serving bowls. Dollop with yoghurt and top with the curry leaves.