Iceberg Wedges Recipe Ideas
Iceberg Wedges Recipe Ideas
Iceberg Wedges Recipe. Before you discount the iceberg as the has-been of lettuces, adorn wedges with these delicious toppings and you’ll remember why you used to love it.
See related: 13 Healthy Dinner Recipes For The Week
How to prepare your wedges
Remove any loose leaves on the outside of the lettuce. Trim and discard stem. Cut lettuce in half, then in quarters or eighths to create wedges. Remove any firm core, trying to keep the wedges as tightly together as possible. Cover with a damp paper towel while preparing your toppings. Don’t forget, lettuce needs seasoning, too – sprinkle with a little salt just before serving.
1. Waldorf Salad Wedge
- To make blue cheese dressing, combine 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbsp finely chopped onion, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic, 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, 125ml sour cream, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 120g crumbled blue cheese in a bowl. Season to taste. Chill in fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Spread 1 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts over a baking tray. Toast for 8 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool. Trim and dice a kiwifruit into small segments.
- To serve, drizzle prepared lettuce wedges with blue cheese dressing, then sprinkle liberally with nuts, kiwifruit and top with plenty of snipped chives.
Smart tip: You will have leftover dressing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
2. Mexican Wedge
- Slice 2 chorizo into bite-sized chunks. Heat a chargrill pan over medium heat then cook chorizo until browned. Drain on paper towel.
- Parboil 1-2 corn cobs in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain. Heat a chargrill or barbecue flat plate until hot. Spread corn cobs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until kernels start to char. Use a sharp knife to cut kernels from cobs.
- To make avocado and coriander dressing, put 2-3 tbsp sour cream, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, a few drops Tabasco sauce, 1 tbsp finely chopped chives, 1-2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves, flesh of 1 small avocado, 1 tbsp lime juice in a bowl. Using a hand blender, blend until well combined. Season to taste.
- To make green tomato Mexican sauce, put 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 chopped spring onion, 2 peeled green juicy tomatoes, 2 mild green capsicum (pith and seeds removed) and 1 green chilli in a bowl. Using a hand blender, blend until combined, then stir in juice of 3 limes. Season with salt to taste.
- Arrange prepared lettuce wedges on a serving platter and top with corn. Drizzle with avocado and coriander dressing. Serve with crumbed chorizo and green tomato Mexican sauce on the side.
3. Superfoods Combo Wedge
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Peel ¼ pumpkin, discarding seeds, then dice. Spread on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Spread ½ cup pumpkin seeds over another baking tray and toast, stirring halfway through, for 6-8 minutes.
- To make honey Dijon vinaigrette, combine 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1½ tbsp cider vinegar, 1 tsp wholegrain mustard, 1 small crushed garlic clove, salt and pepper to taste, 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (such as thyme and parsley) in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Cover 1 cup podded edamame beans with a little water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high/100% for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Rinse and wash 1 cup sprouted mung beans.
- Top prepared lettuce wedges with pumpkin, edamame, sprouts and roughly chopped pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with a little vinaigrette and serve with remaining vinaigrette on the side.
4. Middle Eastern Charred Wedge
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Drain 440g can chickpeas (reserving aquafaba for another use). Combine with 2 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp smoky paprika, ½ tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp sesame seeds, then spread over a baking tray. Toast for 10 minutes.
- To pickle red onion or green chillies, stir ¼ cup cider vinegar with 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt until sugar and salt dissolves. Add 3-4 whole black peppercorns and leave to infuse for 3-4 minutes. Add 1-2 sliced red onions or 3-4 sliced green chillies and stir to coat. Stand for 15 minutes to pickle.
- To make sumac-spiced yoghurt dressing, whisk 1 small finely chopped garlic clove, 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, ½ tsp sumac, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, and sea salt to taste, in a small bowl.
- Preheat a chargrill or barbecue flat plate on a low-medium heat. Drizzle prepared lettuce wedges with olive oil. Quickly fry cut sides of lettuce, then arrange on a serving platter. Top with spicy chickpeas and pickle, then drizzle with dressing. Serve with pomegranate arils and fresh mint leaves.
5. Black Sesame Wedge
- Halve a telegraph cucumber lengthways. Remove and discard seeds, then finely cut flesh into thin sticks. Trim 2 spring onions and cut diagonally into thin strips, then refresh in icy cold water.
- To make black sesame dressing, mix 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp clear honey, ¼ cup sunflower oil, 1 tsp sesame oil and ¼ tsp dry mustard powder in a glass jar or jug. Whisk together well. Season to taste.
- Arrange prepared lettuce wedges on a platter and top with cucumber and spring onions. Drizzle with sesame dressing, then sprinkle with crispy noodles and toasted slivered almonds. Serve with lime wedges.
See also: You’ll love this Easy Vietnamese Beef Pho Recipe.