300g raw prawns in the shell (defrosted if frozen) 40ml olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
150ml chicken stock or water
Pinch of chilli flakes Small handful of basil leaves, shredded
Salt and black pepper
- Peel the prawns, cut the meat into small pieces and set aside. Put the heads and shells in a pan with half the oil, half the garlic and half the tomatoes, then fry gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock or water and boil until the liquid has reduced down to 4 or 5 tablespoons. Pass this through a sieve, taste and season and set aside until ready to serve.
- Cook the gnocchi in a pan of salted boiling water until they pop to the surface, then drain.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan and add the rest
of the garlic and the chilli flakes, then the prawns and remaining cherry tomatoes. Cook for a minute or so until the prawns are hot (and have turned pink), then stir in the gnocchi. Season with salt, pepper and shredded basil.
- Divide between 4 bowls and spoon over the reserved sauce.
This recipe is an extract from Simple Suppers by Rick Stein, courtesy of Penguin Books Australia. AU RRP $59.99 / NZ RRP $65.00.