Vegan baking never tasted so good with these Fudgy Vegan Brownies With Caramel Icing!
Fudgy Vegan Brownies With Caramel Icing Recipe: Ingredients
Makes 12 Pieces
- 150g (8-9) medjool dates, pitted
- 3⁄4 cup nut butter
- 1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy milk (such as almond, soy or coconut)
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnut or almond meal
- 1⁄3 cup cacao powder or Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g dairy-free chocolate, coarsely chopped
Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 600ml coconut cream
- 3⁄4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
How to make our Fudgy Vegan Brownies With Caramel Icing Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (fan-forced). Grease a 20cm square slice pan and line with baking paper, extending paper over the edges.
2. To make the caramel sauce, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium- low heat to dissolve sugar and slowly bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until reduced and caramel in colour. Pour approximately 3⁄4 of the caramel into a medium heatproof bowl and chill in the fridge until cold. Set aside remaining caramel sauce.
3. Meanwhile, soak dates in just- boiled water for 5 minutes to soften, then drain. Place into the bowl of a food processor with the nut butter, coconut oil and milk. Pulse until dates are chopped. Scrape down sides using a spatula, add hazelnut meal, cacao/cocoa powder, bicarb and vanilla, then pulse until combined. Stir in the chocolate.
4. Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Using electric beaters, beat the chilled caramel for 2-3 minutes on high speed or until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled brownie slab.
6. To serve, cut brownie slab into 12 pieces, then drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.
Ensure the caramel is well-chilled before beating, as this helps give you a nice fluffy consistency. Try using your favourite nut butter – we used cashew nut but you can try almond, peanut or chia.