Our Free-form Chicken & Red Onion Tart Recipe is the perfect modern day comfort food with tender pieces of chicken, delicious cheddar pastry and slightly sweet red onion.
Free-form Chicken & Red Onion Tart Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 400g chicken thighs, trimmed and chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 red onions, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Red vein sorrel, to serve
- 200g plain flour
- 100g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 50g grated vintage cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp iced water
How to make our Free-form Chicken & Red Onion Tart Recipe
1. To make the cheddar pastry, place the flour, butter and cheese in a bowl. Rub the flour and butter together until you end up with pea-sized clumps of butter. Add the vinegar and water and mix until just combined.
2. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and bring together until smooth and combined. Shape into a ball, then flatten slightly and cover with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the chicken for 4 minutes, turning, or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Place the onions, vinegar and sugar in a bowl, toss to combine. Set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a 35cm round. Place the crème fraîche, cheddar and garlic in a small bowl and mix to combine. Spread over the pastry, leaving a 3cm border on all the sides. Top with the chicken and onions and fold the edges of the pastry over the filling.
6. Place on a baking tray, brush the pastry with the beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden.
7. Serve topped with red vein sorrel.