- 20g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- Pinch finely grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup grated gruyère
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cooked crumbed chicken schnitzels
- 150g shaved ham off the bone
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 sage leaves
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
Croque Monsieur Chicken Schnitzels with Malt-pickled Onions Method
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add flour and whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes or until light golden. Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously for 5 minutes, or until thick. Add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly, then add gruyère and egg yolk. Mix to combine. Refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, to make the malt-pickled onion, combine the onion, sugar and salt in a bowl and set aside to marinate for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, mix to combine and set aside.
- Preheat grill to high. Place the cooked chicken on an ovenproof tray, top with ham, spoon over béchamel sauce and top with grated mozzarella. Place under the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Add sage leaves and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Sprinkle schnitzels with salt and pepper. Serve with the pickled onion and topped with crispy sage leaves.
Try out this recipe for The Perfect Crumbed Chicken Schnitzel here.
Or this recipe for Peri Peri Chicken Schnitzels with Crème Fraîche Aioli here.