- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 pork and fennel sausages
- 5 chorizo sausages, casing removed, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pistachio kernels, toasted and finely chopped
- 200g manchego cheese, grated
- 1 bunch of chives, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten tomato sauce, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Wrap the garlic cloves in foil and roast for 30–40 minutes until very soft. Squeeze out of their skins and mash.
- Remove the casings from the sausages and place the sausage meat in a large bowl. Add the chorizo, mashed garlic, pistachios, manchego, chives and pepper and mix together well with your hands.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half. Roll 125 g of the sausage mixture into a log shape the same length as the pastry. Lay the mince along one long edge of pastry and lightly brush the other long edge with egg. Roll the pastry to enclose the filling and press gently to seal. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to firm up. (Keep the rest of the egg wash for later.)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut each roll into three even pieces, brush with the reserved egg and grind over some fresh pepper.
- Place, seam-side down, on the prepared tray and bake for 25−30 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve with tomato sauce.
This recipe is an extract from Feast by Miguel Maestre, Published by Plum, RRP $39.99 AUD, Photography by Jeremy Simons.