Serves 6 as a side
- 1 kohlrabi, thinly sliced using a mandoline or finely chopped
- 2 apples, cut into matchsticks
- 2¾ cups (100 g) rocket (arugula)
- ⅔ cup (100 g) hazelnuts, roasted
For the pesto dressing:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 20 mint leaves
- 1 cup basil or parsley leaves* (whichever is available at the time)
- ½ cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (50 g) hazelnuts, roasted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup (35 g) grated parmesan cheese or ¼ cup (15 g) nutritional yeast black pepper, to taste
- Pop kohlrabi, apple, rocket and hazelnuts in a salad bowl.
- To make the pesto dressing, whiz all the ingredients in a blender on high for 5 seconds, or until combined. You could also pound them together using a large mortar and pestle. Whatever works for you.
- Mix the pesto into the salad using your hands – get in there and coat everything thoroughly.
- You are ready to rock.
- To cut an apple into matchsticks, cut the four cheeks away from the core and chop into slices, then matchsticks.
- To roast hazelnuts, spread them on a baking tray and roast in a 170°C (325°F) oven for 10 minutes. To remove the bitter skins, rub the hot nuts gently in a clean tea towel (dish towel). You’ll see that both the salad and the pesto dressing contain roasted hazelnuts, so roast them all together.
Images and text from Low Tox Life Food by Alexx Stuart, photography by Cath Muscat. Murdoch Books RRP $39.99 NZD, RRP $36.99 AUD.