There’s nothing more festive than this Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Wreath Recipe. With a mouthwatering Cherry Rose Jam and delicious chocolate sprinkles it’s sure to get everyone in the mood to celebrate.
Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Wreath Recipe
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp lukewarm milk
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups (300g) ‘00’ flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp chocolate sprinkles, plus extra to serve
Cherry Rose Jam
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup frozen cherries, thawed
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 2 tsp cornflour
How to make our Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Wreath Recipe:
1. Place the yeast and 1⁄2 cup of lukewarm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook and set aside for 8 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. If the mix does not foam, the yeast is dead and you must start again.
2. Add the milk, melted butter and sugar to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add the egg yolk, flour, salt and orange zest and beat for 8 minutes, or until you have a smooth dough.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and set aside for 1 hour to prove, or until doubled in size.
4. Meanwhile, to make the cherry rose jam, place the sugar and cherries in a small pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Mix the rosewater and cornflour together. Take the cherries off the heat, add the rosewater mixture and mix to combine. Refrigerate until cold.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 55x30cm rectangle. Spread with three quarters of the jam and top with the chocolate sprinkles.
6. With the long side facing you, tightly roll up the dough into a log with the seam facing up. Use a sharp knife to cut the log in half lengthwise, along the seam. Tightly weave the 2 pieces together – leaving the cut edges exposed. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Twist into a wreath. Set aside to prove for 15 minutes.
7. Place a tray of water in the bottom of the oven. Place the wreath in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm with the remaining jam and extra chocolate sprinkles.
TIP: The tray of water will keep the dough moist and fluffy as it bakes.