Chilli Lamb Larb with Toasted Rice & Crispy Garlic Recipe
Add some heat and colour to your next meal with our show stopping Chilli Lamb Larb with Toasted Rice & Crispy Garlic Recipe.
- 2 tbsp jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra to shallow fry
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stem, thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 small rice paper rounds
- 800g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander stem
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated, to serve
- 1 cup coriander leaves, to serve
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, to serve
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced, to serve
- Pickled chilli, to serve
How to make our Chilli Lamb Larb with Toasted Rice & Crispy Garlic Recipe:
1. To make the toasted rice, place the raw rice in a small frying pan over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Set aside to cool, and then place in a small spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
2. For the crispy garlic, heat about 2cm of vegetable oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic and lemongrass and cook for 30 seconds, or until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the pan, place in a bowl and set aside. Working in batches, add the rice paper rounds to the pan. Cook for 30 seconds or until puffed. Drain on paper towel and repeat. Set all aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the mince and cook for 6 minutes, or until it’s starting to crisp, breaking up any big lumps with a spoon. Add the sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and 1⁄4 cup of water, mix to combine. Take off the heat, season well with salt and pepper. Add the coriander stem, kaffir lime leaves, crispy garlic and lemongrass, and 1 tablespoon toasted rice, and mix to combine.
4. To serve, top the lamb with the remaining toasted rice and serve with lettuce, fried rice paper rounds, herbs, chilli and pickled chilli.