Take your lunchtime treats to the next level with these show stopping Blueberry Layer Biscuits Recipe. The multi-layer biscuits are packed full of tasty blueberry jam making them the perfect afternoon tea treat.
Blueberry Layer Biscuits Recipe
Makes about 25
- 1 vanilla bean
- 200g cold butter
- 400g spelt flour, plus extra to roll out
- 150g sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 50g blueberry jam
How to make our Blueberry Layer Biscuits Recipe:
1. Slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, then scrape out the seeds. Cut the butter into small pieces. Place the scraped vanilla seeds, butter, spelt flour, sugar, salt and egg into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to form a smooth dough.
2. Turn the dough out onto a clean surface, and then press flat to form a brick. Wrap in baking paper, then place in the fridge and chill for at least 1 hour.
3, Cut the dough in half, and roll out each portion on a lightly floured surface to form a square measuring about 21x21cm. Brush each dough square with half the blueberry jam. Place one square on top of the other, press lightly to join.
4. Cut the dough into 4 equal squares. Place 2 on top of 2 others and press to join. You will have two dough portions. Refrigerate both for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced), line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Cut 8mm-thick slices from the dough portions and place on the baking trays.
6. Place one tray at a time on the oven’s middle rack and bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.