Add a crunch to your next Asian feast with this delicious Black Tea Pickled Plums Recipe.
Black Tea Pickled Plums Recipe
- 2 black tea bags
- 1⁄4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup plum vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp salt flakes
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 whole dried chillies
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- Peel of 1 orange
- 6 plums, halved, stone removed, sliced into wedges
How to make our Black Tea Pickled Plums Recipe:
1. Place the tea bags, rice-wine vinegar, plum vinegar, sugar, salt, star anise, cinnamon quill, chillies, peppercorns and orange peel in a small saucepan with 1⁄4 cup of water. Place over medium heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Place the plums in a large, heatproof bowl. Pour the hot liquid over the plums and then set aside to pickle for at least 2 hours. Serve the plums with the duck, sesame pancakes and pickled cucumbers.
- Pickled plums can be cooled completely and stored in sterilised jars for up to 2 months.
- This is a great recipe to give as a gift at Christmas. Divide the recipe into 4 x 250ml sterilised jars then tie a ribbon around each.
- If you don’t have plums you can substitute in any stone fruit.
- Plum vinegar is available from Asian grocers. If you can’t find it, just use red-wine vinegar.