The Belgian Street Waffle. Butterscotch chips, roasted pineapple and a white chocolate orange maple make these waffles a delicious treat.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk, plus more if needed
1/2 cup heavy cream
Scant 1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 envelope dry yeast
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butterscotch candies, chopped, plus more for topping
White Chocolate and Orange Maple Sauce
3/4 cup heavy cream
8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
Zest of 1 orange
3 tablespoons orange juice
6 tablespoons maple syrup
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 (1/2-inch-thick) pineapple slices
1. Make the dough. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, milk, cream, sugar, eggs and yeast. Mix on low to form a smooth dough, about 10 minutes. If dough is too dry or tough, add a little more milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the butter and salt and continue kneading until the dough becomes elastic and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, 10 o 15 minutes. It should not be sticky to the touch.
2. Let the dough rest in a lightly greased bowl at room temperature for about 1 hour. Turn the dough once and put in the fridge to rest for another hour. Turn it again and refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hours.
3. Add the butterscotch to the dough and mix well. Scoop the dough in heaping teaspoonful’s and roll into balls. Place the 10 balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment and let rise in a warm place for about 90 minutes.
4. Heat a waffle machine to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Add a ball of dough to each section on the iron. Bake until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough.
5. Prepare the sauce. Bring the cream to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and let sit until the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and let sit until the chocolate begins to melt, about 1 minute. Add the orange zest and juice and stir until smooth. Let cool, then stir in the maple syrup.
6. Make the roasted pineapple Melt the butter over the high heat in a non-stick pan. Add the sugar and pineapple slices. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
7. Place a waffle on each of 10 plates, add half a slice of roasted pineapple, and top with white chocolate and orange maple sauce. Sprinkle butterscotch pieces over the tops and serve hot.
Yield: 10 waffles
For more information about Max Brenner or to shop online, please visit: www.maxbrenner.com.au or for further Max Brenner recipes purchase Chocolate: A love Story (65 chocolate dessert recipes from Max Brenner’s Private Collection)