Shake up your usual Mexican cuisine and try these festive Beer-Marinated Steak Tostadas with Radish & Pink Peppercorn Butter Recipe.
Beer-Marinated Steak Tostadas with Radish & Pink Peppercorn Butter Recipe
- 330ml light beer
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 800g hanger steak trimmed
- 6 radishes
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp grated lime zest
- 1⁄2 tsp pink peppercorns, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 12 small flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Red-veined sorrel leaves, to serve
How to make our Beer-Marinated Steak Tostadas with Radish & Pink Peppercorn Butter Recipe:
1. Place the beer, garlic, fish sauce, honey and cumin in a container, mix well to combine. Add the steak and cover in the marinade. Set aside and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
2. To make the radish & pink peppercorn butter, finely grate the radishes and place in a colander to squeeze out any excess liquid. Then place in a bowl with the butter, lime zest, pink peppercorns and celery salt. Mix to just combine. Set aside.
3. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the tortillas one at a time and toast until lightly charred, and then remove from the frying pan and set aside.
4. Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Heat the oil in the same frying pan over high heat. Add the steak and then cook for 8 minutes on each side, or until lightly charred and cooked to medium. Remove from the pan, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, take the pan off the heat, add the butter and set aside to melt.
6. To serve, thinly slice the steak. Top each tortilla with sour cream, steak and butter. Serve with red-veined sorrel leaves.
You can use chicken, pork or lamb and marinate the same way to add flavour and tenderise the meat.