- 1 pack Silver Fern Farms Beef Brisket
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 75g pancetta or streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 baby onions or shallots, peeled and left whole
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 4 sprigs parsley including stalk, 2 sprigs thyme tied together with string)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 150g button mushrooms, halved
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Pasta or mashed potatoes, to serve
Beef Brisket Bourguignon Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Remove the Silver Fern Farms Beef Brisket from the pack and allow to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. Cut into 3cm chunks.
- Heat the oil in a Le Creuset Cast Iron Casserole over medium heat. Cook the pancetta for 3-4 minutes until it is crisp and browned. Remove from the casserole pot and drain on paper towels.
- Add the beef to the casserole pot in batches and sear until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot and half the garlic to the casserole pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Return the pancetta and beef to the casserole pot with ½ teaspoon salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle over the flour then toss well and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine, beef stock and tomato paste, then add the baby onions and the bouquet garni. Bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and browned. Stir into the casserole pot.
- Remove the bouquet garni and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving with pasta or mashed potatoes.
Slow Cooker Method
Cook for 4-5 hours on High or 7-8 hours on Low, or until the meat is tender, and add the mushrooms in the last 5 minutes of cooking.